One of the most significant advantages of using a pre-construction service is the guarantee of a skilled professional accomplishing your planning goals. They are also flexible, allowing you to pick and choose whichever services you may still require before your project can begin. If you only need someone who can create a working budget without paying for additional services or costs, you can do so.
Many unexpected issues that impact a construction project’s efficiency stem from inadequate planning. In fact, one study found that almost 80% of project deviation costs were due to design and engineering flaws. These mistakes can come at a great cost to your business and even delay projects past their completion dates. Fortunately, pre-construction services can get ahead of setbacks through meticulous planning of the process before construction has even begun.
Continue reading to learn how pre-construction services can keep your project on track, save money, and shorten construction times.
The pre-construction process is one of the most crucial stages of a construction project. It helps lay the foundation for a solid construction project before any building occurs. This is where budgets and costs are configured, permits are secured, designs are drawn up, schedules are created, and site evaluations are performed—essentially, everything that needs to occur before construction begins happens in the stage. The stronger your pre-construction plan, the smoother your building experience is going to be.
Hiring pre-construction services aligns your project for success. Without an intricately planned pre-construction phase, however, your project is likely to run into unforeseen issues that could set the whole operation back, wasting valuable time, resources, and money.
Here are some of the most common pre-construction services offered by providers:
- Scheduling and Logistics: Due to the many individuals, contracts, and organizations involved, creating a coherent schedule can be difficult. However, reliable construction managers can develop efficient schedules for all meetings, inspections, deliveries, construction times, and more, along with logistics like storage and permitting.
- Cost Estimates and Budgeting: Experienced estimators evaluate the scope of your project, labor, materials used, and many other factors to determine an accurate cost estimate. This can be used to realign budgets and create an accurate final project price.
- Material Procurement: Procuring materials involves finding a specialized supplier. However, construction can last for many months or even years, so being aware of the fluctuating price of market materials also plays a significant role.
- Site Evaluation and Preparation: Before construction can start, sites must be evaluated to ensure they are fit for construction. If required, pre-construction services facilitate demolitions, excavations, and soil compacting.
- Cash Flow Analysis: A cash flow analysis ensures your company can make necessary payments while maintaining enough funding to continue operating. The goal is to ensure your business can comfortably fund its project throughout the duration of construction.
- Risk Mitigation: Many potential hazards within construction sites could harm worker safety or the company’s well-being. Mitigating these means ensuring contracts are written up, procedures are correctly regulated, work codes are followed, and all standards are met. This helps avoid fees, fines, lawsuits, and other expensive mistakes.
- Condition Analysis: While some projects are constructed from scratch, others are built on existing structures. In this case, the current state of the building must be evaluated to determine if any repairs are needed, if it is structurally sound, and so on.
- Constructability Analysis: Construction managers and design teams work together to create a structurally sound project design. This is then reviewed and reworked before being finalized for construction.
- Subcontractor Selection: Based on the details of your project, pre-construction services select subcontractors and vendors that can meet your needs and keep up with scheduling to meet deadlines.
Pre-construction services can assist you with as many or as few of these planning processes as you need.
Understanding construction safety can protect your company and its vital workers. Learn more construction safety practices here:
Planning and managing a project before construction can be challenging with many variables and contracts. However, pre-construction services can relieve some burdens and provide multiple benefits. Some of the most notable benefits include the following:
The pre-construction process can be time consuming and challenging to execute if special care isn’t taken. That’s why so many companies turn to trusted and skilled third-party pre-construction services to get the job done right the first time. Let Connor Construction be that service provider.
At Connor Construction, we know how crucial it is to complete projects promptly, so we’ve created a pre-construction process that significantly reduces the gap between preparation and building. We also believe that our clients should be directly involved every step of the way, so we assist with the entire process from beginning to end, including pre-construction, design, build, warranties, and more. Our team delivers fast, top-notch construction services at an affordable rate. We aim to exceed our clients’ expectations and assure them they may rely on our services again if needed.
Ready to start planning your next commercial construction project? Just give us a call, and we’ll start devising a plan.