Have you recently started feeling like it’s time for a change when you walk into your commercial office, retail store, or educational facility each day? You may just need a few new coats of paint and some new furniture, or it may be time to undergo a complete remodel.
How do you know if your space has crossed the line from a little outdated to unusable? Keep reading to learn more about commercial building renovations and when it’s time to call a contractor.
A commercial building remodel is the process of taking an existing building and making changes to improve its appearance and functionality. These changes can be cosmetic, like new cabinets in the office kitchen, or structural, like building an addition or completely changing the layout of your space. Typically, building or business owners choose to move forward with a remodel when they need more from their space but don’t want to move to an entirely new location.
Renovating your commercial space can require significant time and money, but you get to enjoy plenty of benefits once the construction project is complete. These benefits include:
- Improved energy efficiency: If your HVAC, lighting, and plumbing are outdated, a remodel is the perfect time to bring them up to date. With new systems, you can spend less on energy bills and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Better functionality: During a remodel project, you can redesign your commercial property to fit your company or tenant’s current needs. A custom-designed space gets you the most out of each square foot, increasing efficiency across the office.
- An edge against the competition: Your office space serves as a first impression for prospective clients and employees. If your competitors’ offices look like time capsules while yours is fresh and inviting, you have a better chance of attracting more business.
Still not sure if a commercial building renovation is worth the cost and hassle? Here are four signs that now is the right time to invest in an office overhaul.
Your commercial space is a visual representation of your business. If you still have patterned wallpaper, green carpeting, and heavy wood furniture in the lobby, you’re sending the message that your business is stuck in the past. A remodeling project allows you to show off your company’s personality, whether you’re going for hip, sleek, or eclectic.
If you’re trying to decide whether your office is just a little outdated or in desperate need of a commercial building renovation, ask these questions:
- When was the last time you remodeled? If your current design is decades old, it’s probably time for an update.
- Are you embarrassed to invite clients to your office? If your employees prefer to meet clients at a coffee shop instead of your conference room, your space doesn’t represent your business well.
- How does your office compare to competitors? If every competitor in your area has an updated, modern office and yours is stuck in the past, you should consider remodeling.
Have you noticed that there’s always a fight for the one available conference room? Is there always a long line of people waiting for the copier? Is your coworking space always packed to the brim, leaving your cubicles empty? These issues aren’t just annoying for your employees—they can affect productivity.
If your space seems to hinder your business operations instead of enhancing them, it’s time to consider a commercial building renovation. A few simple changes, like adding more conference rooms or trading cubicles for an open working space, can streamline your dysfunctional space and enhance collaboration.
Your office may not experience as much damage as a home full of small children, but regular use can lead to significant wear and tear over time. If you look around your office, do you notice frayed carpeting, dents in the wall, and missing tiles in the bathroom? It’s time to address those issues before they get worse.
If you only notice a few minor issues across your space, you may be able to get away with repairs. But if every room in your office shows signs of age, surface-level repairs won’t cut it. A complete commercial building renovation can address everything at once and prevent future problems.
Are you and your employees getting tired of your space? If you’re ready for a major change but don’t have the budget to move spaces or invest in new commercial construction, a few upgrades can improve morale without draining your bank account.
With the right general contractor, you can transform your existing space into something that feels brand new without the hassle of signing a new lease, packing up your furniture, and officially changing your address.
Are you unsure if you need renovations or a commercial fit-out? Learn how they’re different and what to consider before hiring a contractor.
Are you ready for a change in your commercial office building? If all the signs are pointing towards a renovation, Connor Construction is here to help. As a full-service design-build contractor, we handle everything from the initial design to the finishing touches during construction.
Our team understands that undergoing a renovation isn’t an easy process. That’s why we work with you to determine the best timeline and course of action, whether that means shutting down operations for a few days or completing construction when your office is closed. We have extensive experience working across various industries, including:
Get in touch today to learn about our commercial building renovation services for businesses like yours.